Corning, New York is a great place for a weekend getaway for families. It is a little under a 2 hour drive from Rochester, NY and there are a lot of activities to fill your day and relax with your family. With two amazing museums and a great shopping and dining district, Corning is a great place to getaway with the family for the weekend.
Disclosure: I received a media rate for my stay at Staybridge Suites. My priority is to be honest and authentic with my valued readers. My opinion is always my own. Read more about my Disclosure Policy.
Where We Stayed
The Staybridge Suites in Corning is a great place for families. The lobby was beautifully decorated. They had decor from the Corning Museum of Glass. I got the feeling that the town of Corning is a tight knit community that really supports each other. The first things my kids noticed was the shelf of DVDs to borrow for our room. They were so excited about this!! Check in was super easy and the staff was really friendly. They had lots of snacks/drinks for purchase and had laundry on-site.
We stayed in the two bedroom suite and the room was huge. It had 2 bathrooms, a living room with a kitchen, and two bedrooms. It was a lot of space for my family of five and it was nice to spread out and rest after our morning at Corning Museum of Glass. You know a hotel is kid approved when the kids are snuggled in immediately!
In the morning we visited the pool. My kids will swim in any temperature but for me it is a little bit of a challenge!! I am happy to say this pool is “Mom Approved”! It was warm and I had a great time swimming with the kids. This was the first time we made a little pool time in the morning and I am so happy we did. My kids love to swim and it was a great way to start our day.
When making reservations at a hotel that include a breakfast, it is never really clear what you are getting until you arrive. Staybridge Suites breakfast was fantastic. They had something for everyone. My daughter loved the make your own waffle station and my husband enjoyed the hot breakfast of sausage and scrambled eggs. My sons enjoyed the cold cereal selection and the muffins. Overall it was a perfect breakfast for my family.
What We Did
- Corning Museum of Glass– We arrived at Corning Museum of Glass(Click link to read my full review.) and spent the morning there before hotel check in. The museum is within walking distance to the hotel but we parked in the Museum parking lot.
- Staybridge Suite(Hotel Check-in)- After the museum we checked in to the hotel and relaxed. Honestly I didn’t think the kids were going to want to leave. They got snuggly in the beds and were ready to relax.
- Gaffer District– The annual holiday event Sparkle was going on in the downtown Gaffer District. This part of town is lined with pretty shops and restaurants. I loved walking along the streets and looking at the window displays. We took the shuttle from the welcome center to the Gaffer District. The shuttle was located at the welcome center across the street from the hotel. We did have to walk back because the shuttle stopped at 6:00pm. Keep this in mind when planning your visit. The walk was about a mile over the bridge and passed the museum. We didn’t have a stroller but younger kids may need one.
- Fireworks for Sparkle- This was on our itinerary but in the spirit of being flexible we ended up buying a snack for home and cuddling up at the hotel. The weather was really cold and the kids wanted to just hang out. Sometimes on vacation you have to change your plans. We had a really great time in the hotel room spending time together.
- Breakfast at Hotel
- Pool Time
- Rockwell Museum-This was a last minute decision based on a recommendation from the hotel staff. She recommended we go over to see the Rockwell Museum for its gingerbread display. I am so happy we did. It was really fun.
The Rockwell Museum is the first and only Smithsonian Affiliate in Upstate New York. Housed in the beautifully restored 19th century Old City Hall building Historic Old City Hall in Corning, New York, The Rockwell lays at the heart of the greater Finger Lakes fine arts community.
The diverse collection includes a mix of contemporary Native American art with traditional bronze sculptures, landscape paintings and other works that embody America. There are many reasons why you should bring your family to experience The Rockwell. We offer guided tours that you can book as a group, or you are welcome to explore the Museum on your own.
The museum has a kids corner and a scavenger hunt. They also had a scavenger hunt for the gingerbread houses. I was really impressed with how the Rockwell was kid friendly. The scavenger hunt was pieces of art work that you had to discover throughout the museum. I was not sure what to expect and if this would be entertaining for the kids but they really liked it. I loved seeing the old maps of the United States. It was a really cool way to spend our morning before heading back home.
When I think of family getaways I always think big cities. Corning was perfect for a weekend family getaway. It was so nice to have a family adventure closer to home. There was less planning and more time to enjoy each other. We hope to visit and enjoy Corning again very soon!
Thank you to Staybridge Suites for hosting my family when visiting Corning. All opinions are my own.
Looking for more family fun inspiration? Subscribe to my mailing list and receive all the latest posts.