We love celebrating the holidays and with so many Christmas activities in Rochester NY it is easy to find family fun activities to enjoy. From light displays, to fun activities for the kids, to teaching children the giving spirit there are plenty of ways to spend time together as a family this holiday season.
Family traditions are so important to me. Spending the month of December doing special things as a family, especially when life gets busy, is a big priority. Luckily we don’t have to go far to enjoy family time, there are many Christmas activities in Rochester! We look forward to these family traditions all year long and they help us connect as we get ready for Christmas.
I love planning our activities and I use Christmas Countdown Calendar to plan fun activities for the family throughout the month. Here are our favorite holiday activities for families in Rochester.
Christmas Activities in Rochester NY for Families
1 Holiday Light Displays
- Drive around your neighborhood for holiday lights or explore a new neighborhood.
- Our favorite holiday light displays:
2 ROC Holiday Village
ROC Holiday Village is a brand new way to celebrate the holidays in Rochester with winter festivals every weekend during December. This year will be its second year and I can’t wait to go back. I wrote a full review of our visit. Read it here.
3 Adopt-A-Maple from Kettle Ridge Farm
I am so excited to partner with Kettle Ridge Farm this holiday season to start a new family tradition. Kettle Ridge Farm’s Adopt-A-Maple program is a fun way to celebrate the season this year. Your family will have your name on a maple for the holiday season, receive maple gifts, as well as have the opportunity to tap your own maple tree in early 2018. I love that this holiday tradition can be enjoyed through the season and into the New Year. Read all about my visit and how you can get started.
4 Kids Cooking Class at Wegmans
- Wegmans offers lots of fun holiday classes. Last year we made peppermint bark. This year we registered for the Gingerbread Making class. We have done Breakfast with Santa too. All of these events require registration and have a charge. They are totally worth it!! We always love the activities and the treats!
5 The Garden Factory
- Garden Factory has small rides, a train display, and a visit with Santa. I love walking around and seeing all the holiday decorations and lights.
- My kids loved the Holiday Light Show. Be sure to purchase tickets when you arrive. Hours: Saturday-Sunday 11:00am-4:00pm, Admission $3.00, Continues through December 18th.
6 Donate to Pirate Toy Fund
- I like to talk to my kids about the importance of giving this holiday season. Last year was the first year they really began to understand how they can help other kids during the holidays. Pirate Toy Fund donates to kids year round and it is a great way to give back.
- The Pirate Toy Fund has a location at the East View Mall. It is easy to take the kids shopping and donate it all in one night.
7 Holiday Light show at Rochester Museum & Science Center
- RMSC offers a 50 minute Holiday Laser Show show on the weekends. It is a show filled with lasers and holiday music and is a wonderful tradition to start with your family.
- Check website for hours and to purchase tickets.
8 Genesee Brew House Keg Christmas Tree
- Genesee Brew House has the first Keg Christmas Tree I have ever seen! I know this sounds like it is for the adults but kids can appreciate the lights and adults will love it. You can make an evening of it and enjoy dinner…and possibly a tasting. I recommend the Bavarian Pretzels!
9 Road Trip: Niagara Falls, Canada
Hop in the car and drive 1.5 hour to Niagara Falls, Canada. Their annual Winter Festival of Lights is a favorite of mine. I grew up in Buffalo and this was a family tradition we did year after year as a kid. I love seeing the falls with all the lights and they have many holiday decorations throughout the area. Check out all the events on their website.
Do you have another Holiday Activity in Rochester for Families? Did I miss your favorite? Share in the comments!